|All Saints Church
A South Chapel was added in 1837 but the original Saxon nave was significantly extended between 1861 and 1898 under the auspices of the Lambert family and Lord Egmont, then Patron of the Living. These 'restorations' under the direction of G E Street, the noted architect responsible for London's Law Courts, included the North and South Aisles, West Tower, and vestry, resulting in the building we see today.
Although many of the memorials are those of the Lambert family being 'particularly attentive to their relations' which included a Lord Mayor of London, there are many more of equal distinction such as the unique and touching 17th century wall-tablet to an infant in his 'swaddling cloaths' complete with ruff!
The Buckle family who provided the church's vicars for over 80 years are memorialized in several windows and the NADFAS Church Recording Project, begun in 2006, has revealed the fine quality of the stained glass windows. Not only is there one by Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co's earliest commissions (1863) employing the talents of Rossetti, Philip Webb and Morris himself, but also an unusual design by Hardman & Co famed for providing the stained glass in the Houses of Parliament. The twenty stained glass windows represent the work of the most famous designers and makers of stained glass in an era when the art was at its zenith: a very rare distinction in a small parish church.
The original churchyard which now includes the Garton World WarI memorial, was enlarged in 1861 and again in 1904.
In 2007, The Banstead History Research Group published The History of All Saints Church Banstead written by Geoffrey Robinson. It is a very well illustrated and researched book of 60 pages. Click here for further details.
Click here to access the All Saints Church website
| St Ann's Church (Roman Catholic)
A Catholic Church was started on a site bought in 1930 on the Brighton Road, in a former army hut provided by Father Chrystal of the Epsom Church.
A presbytery was built in 1936 and from 1938 until 1944 the hut was also used for a school.
The Church was built in 1954 and is named after the mother of the Virgin Mary.
The photograph below shows the interior of the church in 2005.